Saturday, January 09, 2016

Peru, here we come!

I'm excited to announce that I'll be heading to Peru in about a week!

I probably could have started announcing this a year and a half ago, that's how long I've known about this trip.  Of course, I wanted to go, but I wasn't sure if it was going to happen. I felt a lot of pulls in that direction and I knew if it was meant to happen, it would somehow or another.

The main reason for going is to attend the Friends World Committee for Consultation World Plenary meeting from January 19 - 27th. This is a big gathering of Quakers from around the world to do some business, worship, learn, and grow some friendships with Friends around the world. This is somewhat similar to the event I went to in Kenya in 2012.

I'm grateful to Northern Yearly Meeting and Twin Cities Friends Meeting who set money aside to help pay for the registration fees and airfare; and also to lots of Friends who donated money or bought some of my crafts to help pay for the trip!

I was able to scrounge up a total of three weeks for vacation, so after the Plenary conference I'll have about a week to travel with my friend Susan.

You can look forward to pictures and stories from:

  • Cuzco
  • Pisac
  • The Sacred Valley of the Incas, including Intihuatana, Ollantaytambo, Salt Mines, Moray
  • Machu Picchu
  • Arequipa
  • Colca Canyon
  • Puno
  • the Uros Islands and Amantani Island

I'm hoping I'll be able to post throughout the trip, but we'll see how things go. The interesting news is that I've decided to join the 21st Century and get a smart phone. It just arrived in the mail this morning!  I have a few days to learn how to use it, how to take pictures, post on Facebook or this blog, etc...in the midst of gathering supplies and packing and everything else I need to do before leaving. Wish me luck!

No comments: